NEW BRIDGES ON SLIM CREEK FSR
This is a very positive investment for our community!!! Thank you to Ministry of Forests Cascade Forest District!!!
ROAD 40 EROSION ISSUES
For those of you who didn't see my initial blog post on this issue it is here: http://www.debbiedemare.com/2013/04/our-favorite-topic-and-other-items.html
I also wrote a Director's report to the SLRD board requesting their support on the issue. The board agreed and a letter was sent to the Minister of Transportation.
On August 14, there was a meeting that involved Ministry officials from Ministry of Transportation and Environment, BC Hydro, Jackie Tegart (MLA) , her constituency assistant Lori Pilon and Phil Doddridge, Interior Roads on the topic of Road 40 erosion & dirt piling and myself. DFO officials were invited but did not attend.
There are 8 sections totalling 1020 m. of the road which are being eroded. Prior to 1990, policy permitted material coming down from the upslope to be used to fill areas of erosion. Since the policy changed, the erosion has developed into serious areas of concern.
The meeting took a very positive and cooperative direction with the main focus on instituting a program of erosion control rather than infrastructure type programs. The result of this could actually be neutral or cost saving, as this material is currently trucked and dumped in piles all over the place. I was particularly impressed with the approach of Ray Stevens, Area Mgr., BC Hydro who frankly admitted this section of road is a mess and it needs to be fixed and asked: “What can BC Hydro do to help”.
Specifically at this meeting:MoTI:
· committed to identifying and prioritizing approximately 7- 8 sites for short term repair, to be identified by location and scope.
· Construction consideration using select ditch waste materials to be end dumped using a suitable size and gradation.
· review Hydro reports for relevant information and consideration towards Sec. 9 approval (Seton and Carpenter lake reports) (Section 9 is the environmental-fish bearing issue approval)
· compile information and send to Regional environmental staff to develop a plan for submission to DFO
· forward Mission Mtn Road geotech report for further geotech and environment background information on Carpenter lake.
· collate information and forward to our environmental team.
· Communications with environmental group/supply any relevant reports or background reservoir information to MoTI
Both the MLA and myself were very pleased with the positive, cooperative approach and I am very hopeful that this particular part of the challenges regarding Rd 40 may be solved. I will keep abreast and advise if further roadblocks appear.
Report & Proposed Bylaw Amendment
Let me know what you think!
Coming out of the Community Information Meeting in July, I am asking for two Gold Bridge property owners to volunteer to work with me over the 8 or so months to review the Gold Bridge Water System budget, determine best alternatives and options for funding the Gold Bridge Water System and to report back to Gold Bridge property owners. This work will inform the budget/taxation going forward for this service. Please contact me if you are interested. We will get started in October and probably complete next April.